Friday, September 26, 2008

Overheard on Green St.

"Yeah, she invited me to a weenie roast, you know, but her parents don't know about my age yet..."
-weasely-looking guy smoking a cigarette outside Kam's (gross undergrad bar here)

Is that what they are calling it these days, Chambana?

On an unrelated note, I am sharing with you yet another delightful peek into my life as a baby archivist. I have been confirming the death dates of the members of the board of trustees. Boring, you say? Not when the obits in question are from olden times, I counter! To wit:
  • One subheadline reads "Cheerful to the last", with the heartbreaking paragraph that follows describing just how cheerful the deceased was:
"It's pleasantly cool this morning", he commented to his nurse...then he lapsed into silence. A few minutes later he was dead."
Dun dun DUNNNN feel the drama!
  • Another of my faves, about a Democrat (in the minority) who died was entitled "Joined the Majority". BURN
  • Some podunk poet's was called "Poet and brother of greater poet dies"
  • Some other dude's mentioned that "Regret was generally felt."
Obituaries in the past were kind of harsh. I am trying to imagine the widow reading one and being like, "Um, brother of greater poet? That's the nicest thing you could say, Chicago Tribune?" [sobs]

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lizzie,
One thing I've noticed is that you could stand to do a little more follow up. For instance, I haven't seen any more posts on "anti-fat", my favorite of your topics. Also, did you ever go to the Ice House? Inquiring minds want to know.

Jeff

Kate said...

eee! those are fantastic obits :)