Saturday, June 13, 2009

Life in a Sauna

Summer is off to a steamy start in Champ-Urb. The humidity has been approximately 1000% every day for the past few weeks, and both my hair and my general mood have been adversely affected. Still, I soldier on, spending 20 hours a week in a facility called (swear to god) the Horticultural Field Lab, where I am processing the papers of a supercomputing institute headed by an astrophysicist. Super! (The astrophysicist liked to doodle otters). It gets a bit lonely, moving thousands of folders from metal cabinets into archival boxes for hours at a stretch, so I have been listening to a trashy British chick lit audiobook while I work. This leads to weird associations, like trying to remember where Maida Vale is while simultaneously attempting to decipher scribbled calculations about star M31. Thank goodness I am an expert multi-tasker. 

PO is giving Iowa a try for the weekend, so I am all alone! I had class today (yes, on a Saturday), a party last night, and a big week ahead, so I am lying low and trying not to sweat all over the place. I miss New York crazy amounts. Summer in the city was always my favorite, with the free shows and the outdoor movies and the migration of the rich people. And the SHAKE SHACK. Recently I have been thinking about moving back, mostly after I dreamt that my sister had a baby (which had an insanely large head) and I never got to see the kid because I lived so far away.  So I am visiting (with PO in tow) over the fourth of July, and seeing what chords the trip strikes in my heart.  Maybe Lizzie's in Paign will have to be renamed Lizzie Crawls Back to the City that Was So Often Brutal to Her? That's not as catchy.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I miss (hot town) summer in the city so much. i miss your list + outdoor food and drinks in the afternoon, and afternoons in the park. Theoretically, I could probably do both of those here, but I miss all the crazy people watching that was such a key part of the experience. Plus, fun outfits.(not so much for myself, although true as well, but for others. the real wakiness comes out in summer I think.)

Liz said...

I call shotgun on at least one trip to Shake Shack with you.

Also my verification word on this was "formork," which is what I am now going to name my firstborn.

Eleanor said...

My baby is definitly destined to have a huge head. And be really hairy. But it will be a nice baby and it will want its aunt lizzie around.